Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Pigs in the Mud Cake Recipe

It's Valentine's Day today and what better way to celebrate than with my daughter turning 2?  Ok she doesn't turn 2 for a few more days still but it's nice to have daddy at home on the weekend especially for a special celebration!



For my son's 2nd birthday, I made Smitten Kitchen's monkey cake (he is truly a little monkey - always on the move, always being silly, always jumping or climbing on top of things.  And he likes bananas.  I'm just saying...). 


For my daughter, I have had my eye on the Pigs in the Mud cake for a while now. And aptly, she is my little piggy. In the cutest and most loving way imaginable. She loves to eat. I always say "Where there's food, there's Eva!"  She doesn't mind making a mess when it comes to food. Or anything for that matter. And she hates cleaning up!  My son is the neat freak. At almost-four, he takes pride in making his bed in the mornings. 


Back to The Pig Cake. The simplest way to break it down is probably to outline the steps I took in order, then share the recipes I used. In my usual style, I collected info from several parts of the Internet to make sure I was on track. 

BASIC STEPS
Step 1: Make pink pigs with marzipan and pink food coloring 
Step 2: Bake 2 cakes (I used 9-inch cake pans) and let them cool
Step 3: Make the buttercream frosting to mold the cakes together and frost around the circumference of the tiered cakes to stick the Kit Kat bars
Step 4: Stick on the Kit Kat bars (I used precisely 45 sticks)
Step 5: Tie the ribbon around the bars to keep them in place (I found mine to stick just fine but the internet warned me of falling walls of Kit Kat so I took the precaution just in case. Plus who can resist cute pink gingham ribbon)?
Step 6: Make the chocolate ganache for the "mud" and let it cool for 5 minutes 
Step 7: Spoon the mud onto the cake. Be careful not to pour too much around the edges so to avoid seepage through the Kit Kat bars.
Step 8: Place the pigs on the cake
Step 9: Step back, admire your work and snap a few pics!

DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS

Step 1: Making Little Piggies
Ingredients:
- Store-bought marzipan
- Pink food coloring or if you're like me and only have food coloring in RYGB, use 8 drops of red, 1 drop of blue and 2 drops of yellow and use a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of this to mix into your marzipan
- cutting board or large surface to work on
- 2 toothpicks

Then I simply followed this 2-minute video before making the pigs, then placed the box in the refrigerator.




Step 2: Cakes
I chose to make banana cakes to avoid chocolate overload and used the same recipe I had used for my son's monkey cake from Smitten Kitchen.




Step 3: Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
I slightly modified Deb's (master of Smitten Kitchen) recipe for frosting and used the following proportions:

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (room temp)
2 cups confectioner's sugar
4 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract 
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Method:
1) Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend. 

2) Sandwich the cakes together with the frosting and then spread more frosting along the circumference of the tiered cakes. 

Step 4: Walls of Kit Kat
Break the Kit Kat bars into twos and place each pair of bars along the walls of the tiered, frosted cakes.  
I read on several blogs that it was safer to place the bars at an angle to avoid a wall-collapse, but with the frosting in place, the bars stuck to the cake pretty well.

Step 5: Tying the Gingham
In my hours of pregnancy-induced insomnia, I looked up "how to tie the perfect bow" because I am awful at bows. I'm not saying the bow on my cake is perfect. In fact it's very imperfect, but I thought I'd share for those who are interested.

Step 6: Chocolate Ganache
Ingredients: 
1 cup heavy cream
12oz Semi sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli chips) 

Method:
Once again, an easy and quick recipe to make the ganache.
Boil cream. Add to dish with chocolate milk pieces. Stir. Cool for 5 minutes. 


Step 7: Spooning the "Mud" onto the Cake
Pretty simple.  I used a tablespoon and was extra careful when spooning the ganache along the edges of the cake.  I didn't suffer any seepage and found the ganache to be a perfect consistency.  If yours is too runny, you may want to wait for it to cool a bit more.
I saved the remainder of my ganache to serve on the side in the event my choco-loving family wanted a wee bit of extra frosting.

Step 8: Placing the Piggies in the Mud
I did this with my hands, but felt I might have needed a pair of tweezer-like tongs for more accuracy!  It looked fine in the end.  The marzipan stuck pretty well, so I didn't end up with headless pigs.

TA-DA!  Here it is, and here they are!  What a fun little project! 




No comments:

Post a Comment