Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Indian Bone Inlay Dresser - for Cheap!

This blogging thing is not easy!  Consistency is key.  Being consistent and frequent. I start with all the right intentions. When I begin working on a project, I tell myself that I will post progress reports on my blog. But with a (new) part time job, my rascals (the older one of which has become an inconsistent napper) and of course, being a mom, the list just keeps growing. Throw frequency out the window, aim for some semblance of consistency, and when life happens, throw consistency out the window too. Like I said, this blogging thing is not easy!  Case in point: it's11pm and I'm typing this highly belated blog post on my iPhone. 

But I digress. 
Many months ago, I purchased a plain-jane dresser from Target for my Indian-themed guest room.
The point was to try and decorate around the plain dresser (rug, drapes, artifacts, bedding, etc) but very soon I felt like the dresser was far too plain for the bedroom. Several Pinterest and Houzz sessions later, I fell in love with bone inlay dressers. Problem there was that I wasn't willing to spend several thousands of dollars to get myself one of those babies. 
Enter Kim Myles' Indian Inlay Stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils. $35 (plus shipping) later I had myself a DIY challenge. "Challenge" because not only am I a DIY newbie and finding the time to spare with young kids is difficult, but also because this would be my first time ever stenciling!  Bring. It. On. 

I prepared myself by reading Kim's tips and other reviews on the stencils. First and foremost, the reviews said not to be intimidated by the number of smaller stencils included in this pack. Opened pack. 5 small stencils. Ok.  My next thought was how in the world I would get all the lines straight. Once I started, that didn't turn out to be much of an issue at all. I simply eyeballed the distance between the top of the border of the last stencil pattern and the next. Easy enough. 



A challenge I faced while stenciling was that the paint ran under the stencil and smudged the design (in some cases, a lot). I had read stenciling advice on not using too much paint to avoid stencil bleed. And I didn't think I was (I was literally squeezing as much out of the brush as possible, but I guess not as much as I should have been). Squeeze the brush almost dry, people. And what I found worked best for me was to pat and dab the paint onto the stencil, and not smear or streak the paintbrush like in most children's artwork.  Kim suggests using a spray adhesive on the backs of the stencils but admittedly as I did not have the product on hand, my impulsiveness to start the project got the better of me.



I used a flat tipped paintbrush as shown in the picture above.  I know stenciling is generally more easily done with a roller sponge but with the intricate designs on each stencil, Kim's own advice was to go with a brush over anything else. Given my pat and dab approach, I tried using a small sponge but didn't really like how the end result turned out, so I went back over it with my paintbrush.

Lastly, after putting the finishing touches on my baby and letting the paint dry, I sprayed her down with two layers of Miniwax polycrylic protective finish topcoat. 

End result?


Isn't she lovely?  Truth be told, the imperfections of my first-time stenciling efforts are largely hidden at a greater distance, but I am so in love with this piece. The way it perfectly fits with the decor of the room, the instant conversation it starts, the price tag... Did I mention the price tag?  I couldn't be happier!

Looking back, the hardest challenge for me with 2 toddlers in the house, was finding the time to dedicate to this project. From start to finish, it took me 4 approximately 2 to 4-hour increments over 3 months. For someone who has stenciled before and knows the nuances behind the art, this project would likely take far less time.  Kim herself did an entire table top in one afternoon!

Go on, get yours and get crafty!

No comments:

Post a Comment